Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A home wih a heart in Singapore!

I am in love with Shilpa's home! Shilpa has recently moved to Singapore with her husband and daughter. They are still in the process of unpacking and settling down. I am delighted that she agreed to share pictures of her new home with My Dream Canvas.
In Shilpa's words," I like my house to be neat, but feel lived in. I tend to favour traditional over modern design elements, and like to use mostly natural materials. With most of our furniture, it has been love at first sight. Most pieces are made of solid Indian rosewood or teak wood and lend a warm quality to our house.
I like furniture with some history behind it. The swing set is fashioned from rosewood rescued from an old Chettinadu style bed. The teak cupboard that we currently use as a crockery cabinet is about 50 years old. The sofa was a garage sale find here in Singapore and spotted by my husband. I was told it originally belonged to a Peranakan grandmother. The moment we saw it, I knew I wanted it in our house. Some polish and vibrant upholstery later, it is my favourite place to relax."
I can sense a lot of warmth and love in this home. I am drooling over this gorgeous chair.......


Shilpa's beautiful green corner. Her talents as a photographer is clearly visible here.


Shilpa is also an artist, and the owl here is made by her. Shilpa says," most decor items are handmade treasures from family members. I like waking up and looking at them as it reminds me of the people who made it for us. It makes us feel surrounded by their love and that, I feel, brings positive energy into our home.

Precious things collected on treks - the horseshoes are especially special. My love for animals and birds is reflected in collection I have of them in brass, wood and fabric - some are flea markets finds, some from our travels and some handmade."



Here are some family heirlooms, like this lovely silver passed down from her husband's family.

Her lovely living room.......the furniture is gorgeous.


A finger painted cushion cover and lamp shade by Shilpa.


This image makes me very nostalgic. Growing up in India, I was addicted to Amar Chitra Kathas. These are story books about folk tales, fairy tales and mythology. This is Shilpa's husband's collection from his childhood. Makes me wish that I had kept mine.....


This is too cute...perfect for the kitchen:-)


A fun afternoon at home, where Shilpa uses wooden printing blocks to print cotton drawstring vegetable bags, from leftover cotton diaper material!
Shilpa's warm touch and creativity is evident in every corner of her home. I do hope you have enjoyed visiting her pretty home.



Images via: Shilpa

17 comments:

Yours Truly said...

what a lovely home Shilpa! Simple yet close to the heart, the title of this article is fully understandable. i love your block art, i used to do it too but time has not been fair so it remains in the back of my storeroom now, maybe someday again soon. lovely home, wish you all the best

GB said...

Gorgeous, warm home! I'm amazed at the talent out there!! Love the block print art and those little turtles!

(I think my mom has saved my amar chitra katha collection---it's time to pass it on to my son!) :)

Thank you for sharing, Shilpa. Great post Anu!

Anonymous said...

Oh my!! what a fun time it would be in her house!! Awesome!! Such a gorgeous post!! You cant tell that she hasnt settled in as yet.. Looks as though shes been there forever.. Loved it!! Each and every bit!! :-)

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

ohh same here am nostalgic about the Amar Chitra katha too. thats a very cosy home with oozing creativity.

Anonymous said...

This one is a really nice and warm post Anu,..very much like my belief about home...I loved her Turtles and Silver heirloom, also the chair is a great find,...hope to see more such posts..Take care

A. Naik said...

love the finger painted pillows... low the low stool.... love the pillow stack... am obsessed with pillows ...can't just get enough of them....

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Hi Shilpa,
Welcome to Singapore :)...Your nest is lovely..a cozy and creative home!!..and yes,my hubby's childhood Amar Chitra Katha collection is right here in Singapore!!:)...passed it on to our two brats!!..loved your block art..
A great post Anu :)

Shilpa said...

Such a warm and cozy home Shilpa, loved your miniature animal collection too...thanks anu for such a lovely post:)

Shilpa said...

Thanks Anu for featuring our home and thank you everyone for your lovely comments.
I can't take full credit for the finger-painted cushion cover and lamp - most of the work was done by my little daughter. My job was to clean up the mess :-)

Hannah said...

Warm, clean, uncluttered, well-rooted, eclectic, fun. Shilpa's personality shines through -right down to the writing on the kitchen board :D
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

Bhargavi said...

what a beautiful home !!!! and such lovely ,glossy pics !!! ... very warm and cosy indeed !

Sudha said...

oh gosh!! and you say she is still unpacking...wow!..loved every pic so much..it is a great home...loved the vegetable bags..:)

Unknown said...

what a difference it makes when you make stuff with your own hands for your sweet abode! Shilpa...loved your home!

Purnima@a creative project said...

very pretty home!! warm and inviting!!

Lakshmi -Celebrations said...

lovely home dear shilpa.i am glad that we know each other ...taking pride..

Shilpa said...

am glad I got to see this!

loved that red couch and the silver heirlooms :)

Anonymous said...

Definitely a home with heart - I love the silver and the wooden block prints!

Post a Comment

I am delighted you are here and I would love to hear your comments. Thank you and have a lovely day.