Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Home Extraordinaire.....

This is a special home tour for me! Erum Kazmi's home in Omaha is a dream come true:-) I am both honored and delighted to feature this fabulous home on "My Dream Canvas". Erum has sent me lovely pictures of the different corners of her home.
I asked Erum to describe her home and her style. Her words are just as beautiful as her home. Erum says, "we are all about old-world charm....which makes us traditional to the core. Burnished rustic tones, vivid yellows and greens shine in our house. Life is very blithesome here. There is nothing startling about our modest home. It brims with our personalities and eclectic taste. For us, it's a family haven that feels warm all year long.

Most of the ethnic decor pieces you see are from back home or family heirlooms. You'll find a lot of jharookas (mirrors) in my house. I love collecting them. They all are from Pakistan...my mother's gifts :) My Nani-jan's (Grandmother's) khaasdan adorns the formal living room. The chess board belongs to one of my uncles. It was in a very dull condition...I got it polished before bringing it here. The little antique jewelery box sitting on my nightstand is originally from Lahore, Pakistan. I get the most amazing sunlight in my dining room, so I painted it sparkling yellow."

Erum reminds me so much of myself. I too share her passion for family heirlooms and guard them with my life. Every trip to India, I look through old stuff and antiques that go back a few generations. I try and bring back as many as I can :-) My prized collection includes silverware dating back nearly a century, and cut and etched glasses bought by my great grandfather in the 1920's!!

I do hope you have enjoyed visiting Erum Kazmi's home. She is a lady with elegance and beauty and this is reflected in every corner of her home.



This chair is my absolute favorite :-)









Stunning headboard....

I love the rich dark tones and the intricate carving on the dining room chairs......

Gorgeous inlay work......


Last, but certainly not the least, is this delightful nursery for her baby girl. Erum says, "My daughter's room is the happiest place in the whole house. I was not sure about the vertical stripes initially, but they turned out so much fun.

Erum's husband painted the gorgeous vertical stripes in their daughter's room.....impressive, isn't it ??


I could go on and on.......however, I will stop here so that you can focus on the images above, sigh, and fall in love:-)


Images via : Erum Kazmi

22 comments:

Kamini said...

Anu..one word..WOW! What an absolutely beautiful home! Love that chair, yes as well as the paints used in the home. So warm and cozy! And the lovley Indian furniture pieces! Lovely home Erum, and great post Anu!

Archana Srinivas Pottery said...

It's great to see Nahal's beautiful home featured here:-)

Great to see some really lovely corners:-)

What warmth and old-world charm!

Deepa Jagarlapoodi said...

wow...ya..u just got to fall in love...so nice :) inspiring interior pics from her home..

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful home!

Bhavna Bhatnagar said...

Beautiful home! I love Erum's collection of pottery and ceramics, and that little musical instrument. Thanks for a fab start to the week Anu :)

Susan said...

Very lovely photos of a lovely home! Good job! Susan

Rekha said...

Omg, this is such a fabulous home...I loved each and every pic, thanks for sharing Anu.

Unknown said...

Fabulous!! I love the mirror, the color scheme & the Brass artifacts! Very elegant.

GB said...

Gorgeous home Erum! This was such a lovely post, Anu. Thanks for sharing.

Really love that large urn with the twigs and her little sitar/tanpura (??). Very tastefully done up home!

Sharon said...

Loved the Indianess...the home is lovely Anu...thanks for bringing us the images.And that burst of color behind the Buddha - what a gorgeous tile!

Sudha said...

So dreamy and alive!!

always wondered how come some homes look so great and put together...need some tips and advice anu...do something about that in a post asap... :)

Shalini said...

So thrilled to see Nahal's home tour. What a cultured and elegant home you have created Nahal. I love that you have incorporated some modern touches like bright painted walls, but otherwise kept to your core style.

Sans! said...

I just love the decor especially the fireplace pic because of the ceramics ! The baby's room is for the luckiest little girl in the world :) . It is one of the most beautiful nurseries I have ever seen. A great home , Erum and a great post, Anu :)!

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

What an elegant home Erum! Simply loved the Indianess..!!...What an old-world charm :)
A great post Anu !

My Owl Barn said...

This is beautiful home! I love everything in there. That chair and the stool is stunning!

Claudia said...

Hiya -- thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hi.

Yours is a delight and would be perfect addition to our Friday Finding Beauty post.

Stop by and join us.

claudia

My Dream Canvas said...

Thank you so much ladies. I shall pass on your comments to Erum :-)

Sensuous2Spiritual said...

Wow! Amazing...

Erum Kazmi said...

Thank you so much everyone for all the lovely comments. It meant a lot to me.

GB - During spring cleaning this year my husband snipped off some branches from the trees in my backyard. They had been soaking in rain and shine for so many days until I noticed one day and brought them inside. The large urn(mexican pottery) has been purchased from a local home and garden show.

A big hello to two lovely ladies...Archana and Shalinl :)

Last but not the least...Anuradha...Thank you so much for featuring our home. You are doing a wonderful job. Keep up the great work :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my... what a lovely home.. Such an awesome blend of old world and modern charm.. Lovely... lovely!!! I love the little musical instrument... Oh.. I have to come back and check all the pics again.. Such eye candy!!

Lovely post Anu... Well done!

Yours Truly said...

Nahal is featured at last! I have always loved her style at home, truly inspiring. Great pictures Nahal. Love the sense of warmth your pictures give!

Anonymous said...

Hi Anu, I have only recently come across your blog and have been religiously going through the archives to make up for lost time! And....it pays to put your life on hold and do nothing but read a blog (well sometimes) :)
I saw Erum's house tour and fainted at the sight of this furniture. Really I did. I have been hunting forever for this old world South Asian furniture style and haven't found it. Can you please please ask Erum where she got it from? I am in the US too and I see the lovely homes in India and feel wistful that we don't get that style here (am so done with CB, Ikea, PB, Pier1 etc etc)...If Erum could do this in Omaha surely there is hope for the rest of us?? :)
Would really appreciate your help.
- Ashwini

Post a Comment

I am delighted you are here and I would love to hear your comments. Thank you and have a lovely day.