Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Agastya - Nirmala's haven!

I am always happy when I have a home tour to share with you. Homes of real people with their own individual personalities. A space to call your own, a haven for you and your thoughts. A place to share your life with your loved ones.

Here is a peek into Nirmala's home "Agastya".  Surprisingly, I recently found out that this home is only a few streets away from my own :-) Nirmala sent me pictures of her lovely home which she shares with her husband and five year old daughter!I asked Nirmala to tell me a bit about herself and her home. Here's what she had to say....

"The first house that we lived in was of an apartment and I remember being proud of the fact that it is MY house and loved every bit of making the house into a HOME! Infact i started shopping for MY home even before the wedding....I didn't quite know what my style was then, I just loved setting up and decorating the house with beautiful things. My sense of style as far as decorating goes, has always been eclectic, mix of styles although primarily ethnic. I love earthen tones as I love the warmth and coziness it spreads. My style of decorating has matured over the  years, thanks to HGTV and beautiful bloggers like Anu (thank you so much Nirmala...that's really sweet) I love Buddha statues and lately have become obsessed with them! I cannot help but buy any beautiful Buddha statue that I spot. The orange Buddha in the family room is one such lucky find and it is my priced possession."

Nirmala's pretty home reflects her warmth and her passion for decorating. Nirmala admires Moroccan decor. She says that she has tried to incorporate it in the family room with her choice of colors. She took the risk of choosing 4 different wall colors for one big space ( family room/ dining/ kitchen) and it turned out beautiful.

I have to say that this is one of the prettiest Buddha statues I have seen.....this image is my favorite shot of her house!








This image of Nirmala's house during Navaratri is lovely. The display of Golu  (dolls) during Navaratri is a popular tradition in parts of South India. Nirmala remembers it being a grand affair in her mother's house and carries on the tradition here in the States as well.

I have not been able to share all the images of the festival but I can assure you that they are gorgeous!



I do hope you have enjoyed  visiting Nirmala's home. Thank you Nirmala for inviting us to Agastya! Please feel free to leave comments for Nirmala in the comment section and I will share them with her!

Images: Nirmala Iyer.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful house!! love the Buddha Statues.

Sudha said...

lovely home....nirmala has done a great job with everything in the house - furniture, knick knacks, colour scheme ...everything!! I am in awe of her golu set...wanted to know where she got the kitchen set placed near the chettiyar couple

Nirmala Iyer said...

Thankyou Sudha (from designenthusiast.blogspot.com). Your comments mean so much to me. Thrilled to hear these words from a wonderful interior decorator and a blogger. I am so glad you liked the golu, I am sure you would be celebrating it as well. The kitchen set in the chettiar's hotel is from india. My mom got it for me from Bombay.

Emreen said...

Lovely home... Love all the knick-knacks that are tastefully arranged and displayed... !! Love the coffee table , the colorful lanterns and the seating arrangements...!!

gom said...

Very well decorated Nimu...I love all your collections and the way you arranged them making a good theme..Now, i feel like inviting you to my home and to get your valuable suggestions :) - Cheers,Gomathi

Gunjan said...

I loved the center table with wicker storage baskets beneath. Wonder where I will get the kinds in India. Beautiful home Nirmala! I love the colour scheme.

Dora said...

really lovely..the love the buddha the most

Nayana@Cherishdreamlive said...

very beautiful, elegant home....

Kala said...

What a Pleasant home lived every corner sply the festival time image stole my heart absolutely gorgeoussss :)

Nirmala Iyer said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments everyone:) makes me feel so proud of myself.

@gunjan - I am sure you will find it somewhere, if not you can certainly get it custom made! glad, you liked it:)

Anonymous said...

Such a cozy... pretty.. home!! Well done Nirmala.. it truly looks lovley!!

Nirmala Iyer said...

So happy to read that coming from you Patty!

lovelifeunderthesun said...

A beautifully done-up home!Loved the orange Buddha statue and the golu display!

Manju said...

OMG!! this is soo beautiful! Totally my style! Is this here in Seattle?

Nirmala Iyer said...

@Manju - Thankyou:) Yes, I am from Seattle.

Unknown said...

Wowowow! I am drooling over Agastya! Beautiful job Nirmala...

Post a Comment

I am delighted you are here and I would love to hear your comments. Thank you and have a lovely day.