Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Exploring Puerto Vallarta

It is so easy to get swept away and spend your entire vacation on the beach when you visit a place like Puerto Vallarta in Mexico. However, despite the obvious attraction to the endless expanse of the deep blue sea......I am so glad I discovered more :-) Long before this trip materialized I had done enough research by reading guide books and searching the Internet about this charming town.

Framed by the majestic Sierra Madre mountains, the town of Puerto Vallarta has cobblestone streets, an imposing cathedral, a bustling malecon (boardwalk), and a delightful (town square)......all of it just waiting to be explored.

Mr MDC who is usually very content to lie on the beach or be in the water very graciously obliged and joined me in my exploration :-) My two little ones were the very best. They know of their mom's love affair with the camera and realized that climbing up and down steep steps around town would make me happy. So they did just that.

Of course, after a little while, I realized that they were on a little treasure hunt of their own. You see my kids adore Herbie. For those who are not aware of Herbie, let me explain this in more detail. Herbie is a 1963 Volkswagen Beetle. Herbie is a character that was featured in several Disney  pictures starting with the 1968 feature film "The Love Bug". As we trudged along the steep stairs we came face to face with the exact replica of Mr Herbie himself :-) The car vanished from our sight pretty quickly but not before we noticed Herbie's  distinguished red, white and blue racing stripes and the number "53" painted on the front trunk lid. Thereafter, the kids were determined to find the car again and nothing seemed to stop them as they literally raced up the steps. While the Herbie mania was on, I happily clicked endless pictures. Incidentally the movie Herbie Goes Bananas was shot in Puerto Vallarta......hence the Herbie hangover :-)

The town has a delightful old world charm. We came across alleys and cobbled streets filled with cafes, galleries, homes with picturesque doors, windows, red tiled roofs looking out to the sea, Bougainvilleas hanging over walls from terraces, and from window sills almost everywhere we looked.

I could easily spend a lifetime here..........the magic of Puerto Vallarta lingers on!















Stay tuned for Part 2 :-)



Images: All mine. Subject to copyright.

2 comments:

Lakshmi -Celebrations said...

lovely images,anu

NanaDiana said...

Gorgeous-Gorgeous-Gorgeous! It makes me long to revisit the area. Didn't you love the Boardwalk area? I hope you were able to visit it on a Sunday late day when all the families dressed in their very best walk that area and sit and "show off" their beautiful families. xo Diana

Post a Comment

I am delighted you are here and I would love to hear your comments. Thank you and have a lovely day.